Monday, August 17, 2009

There ain't no cure for the Summertime Blues!

What is it about Summer that makes it the popular favorite of seasons? It's too hot to enjoy the outdoors, the AC bill is out of this world, the kids have nothing to do, the wife is doing her best to entertain them, and I'm so exhausted from working outside in the heat I'm useless at night. Samantha reads...over 200 books so far this Summer. Ian has read over 100. They've been to the beach (shore) at least a dozen times. Movies, pool, you name it. But, there's just too much free time for them in the Summer. In the old days, we'd play outside all day long. Now, kids have to be watched or they disappear for good. They don't know any better, but it hurts my heart that they aren't allowed the freedom to enjoy childhood the way we did.

Personally, I'd rather freeze than sweat. When (if) I retire, I hope it's in Maine, or Scotland.

1 comment:

  1. Add to that the lack of a good routine and I'm ready for summer to end as well. The girls are anxious to get back to school, and we'll be relieved to get back to some predictability.

    And ditto on the heat - I didn't mind it as much in my 20's, but every year I like it less and less. Not so sure I could handle the lack of sunlight in Scotland or Maine, but I could do the Rockies...

    -RT

    ReplyDelete